How do you enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on Fortnite and what are the benefits?
As one of the most popular video games in the world, Fortnite can be a target for hackers looking to take advantage of security lapses and steal users' personal information.
Using Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for Fortnite helps gamers protect themselves from such damaging breaches, but it also has a number of other benefits that can help fans progress in the game itself.
Using 2ndNumber for SMS-based 2FA
Many people choose to set up 2FA via SMS as it's easier than downloading an authenticator app and doesn't clog up inboxes like using your email address can.
This requires you to provide your private phone number, but this problem can be solved by using 2ndNumber.
2ndNumber allows you to operate two separate numbers on the same phone. So you could use one number to receive private calls and messages from friends and family, and another to sign up for services and authenticate your identity.
What is Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Two-Factor Authentication is a security process that asks users to provide two separate forms of identifying information in order to log into a website, app or other digital platform.
Sometimes referred to as multi-factor authentication (MFA), it's based around the below three categories:
- A piece of information only you know. For example, you might be asked to provide a password or PIN number you created when setting up your account.
- An item only you have access to. After providing the password or PIN, you may be sent a unique access code to your mobile phone or email address.
- A biometric identifier only you could have. If you are not given a code, you may be asked to provide biometric identification, such as a scan of your fingerprint or eyes.
By providing two or all of these pieces of information, 2FA ensures you are who you say you are and greatly reduces the likelihood of a hacker gaining access to your personal accounts.
What rewards do you get for activating 2FA on Fortnite?
Fornite creators Epic Games see 2FA as such a priority that they offer rewards to players who activate it. At time of writing, these are:
Fortnite Battle Royale
- x1 Boogie Down emote
Fortnite Save the World
- x50 Armory Slots
- x10 Backpack Slots
- x1 Legendary Troll Stash Llama
Activating 2FA also allows you to take advantage of functions that enhance the Fortnite experience, including sending gifts through the game, claiming free games through the Epic Games Store, and taking part in competitive events, such as the Fortnite World Cup.
How do I enable 2FA on Fortnite?
Enabling 2FA on Fortnite couldn't be simpler.
- Log in to your Epic Games account and click 'Account Settings'.
- In the resulting screen, click the 'Password and Security' tab.
- Locate the 2FA options and select the activation option you prefer: email, SMS or authenticator app. If you select email, you'll be sent a verification code to your inbox. If you select SMS, it'll be sent as a text message to your mobile. And if you select Authenticator App it'll be sent via whichever authentication app you have installed on your phone (examples include LastPass and Microsoft Authenticator).
- Verify your authentication code by inputting it into the Epic Games website
- Return to your 'Password and Security' tab to check that your selected form of 2FA is now active (the grey toggle next to your selection should now be blue).
Other benefits of 2ndNumber - your ideal 2FA solution
With 2ndNumber it's the same as having two SIM cards but with one critical benefit: the second number is provided virtually rather than through a physical second SIM card.
This means that you don't need to constantly swap out SIM cards to have a second number. Simply log in to the 2ndNumber dashboard through desktop or the app and you'll be able to access your messages.
US, UK and Canadian numbers are available, and all 2ndNumber numbers are person-to-person (P2P) rather than application-to-person (A2P), meaning the number is seen as secure and there's no risk of a network viewing it as spam.
Signing up to 2ndNumber is cost-effective and couldn't be easier. Simply select the option that best suits your needs and follow the process through to completion.
And that's it. You're ready to use a second number to sign up for Fortnite using 2FA and enjoy the added security and rewards that go with it!